Why Org Charts?

Seems like a simple thing, doesn't it? Feels a little old school maybe? Putting your team structure into a document might feel like you are even trying to focus on the hierarchy in some ways. But there are so many advantages to creating an team organization chart. Let's talk about them.

1. First of all, do you even know all the names of everyone on your team, in your ministry area, or in your organization? When you walk down the hall, or have an all-staff meeting, or enter a room full of people do you know how some of the people serve? If you bump into someone and have time to chat, can you thank them for how committed they are to the security team, or on the first impression team, or to the community group they lead? I've found that by keeping an org chart updated I can keep names and faces on my mind so I can thank and encourage the people on my teams when I see them. I can remember to pray for them as well.

2.  Another reason I've found for keeping an updated org chart handy is to have a constant reminder of the holes we need to fill on teams. When you have holes on teams then either something isn't getting done or someone is doing the work of two or more people. Even more importantly, there is someone who doesn't have the opportunity to use their God-given gifts, skills, and experiences in the body of Christ. This has an impact on the individual as well as the entire church family.

3. When I look at the org chart for the teams I lead I can also see whether or not spans of care are manageable. Is there someone leading a team who is operating in a span of care that is too overwhelming or beyond what he or she is capable of leading? Tony Morgan helped me discover how to focus on knowing my span of care when I participated in his coaching network. If you aren't familiar with considering a span of care stay tuned and next week we will cover that topic.

Give it a try. Create an org chart. Use any format you want. Make it colorful if that makes it fun!

Comments