When Women Lead

As a woman with the spiritual gifts of leadership and administration I've been blessed to be able to serve at a church that believes in allowing women to lead. My home church takes a strong, biblical stance concerning men holding the spiritual oversight roles of pastor and elder, but appreciates the contributions women make in other lay and staff roles.

However, even with that said, it's challenging to be a woman in a key leadership role on a church staff. I serve mostly alongside men in the role I am in now. In most every meeting I attend I am either the only female team member, or in the overwhelming minority. In the years of leading alongside men I've learned a lot. Here are a few of the key points I want to share to help other women lead.

1. Know your gifts, your strengths, your skills, and your weaknesses. This is so important for any leader actually, whether male or female. However, as a female serving alongside men in an organization typically managed by men, it's even more important. Be humble about your weaknesses and welcome the strengths of the men on your team. Also, be mindful of your strengths and offer them with professionalism and respect. Keep in mind that respect is a core need for men.

2. Know your personality profile. Know the strengths and weaknesses of your personality. As a D (also Lion, or Choleric depending on the profile) I have to be especially careful not to allow my weaknesses to dominate the way I lead or respond, but sometimes I fail and an apology follows. One thing  that can cause me to lose respect from the men I work alongside is if I come across as bossy and controlling rather than wise, but respectful. 

4. What is spiritual leadership? This can be challenging leading in a church that believes only men should hold positions of pastors and elders, giving spiritual oversight, because the line is hard to see. When do I have the potential to overstep boundaries of giving spiritual oversight? I try to keep this in mind and sometimes I even have to suggest to a pastor that a situation might be one he should handle rather than me. When I do this then I earn trust and respect that becomes vital when I have to make hard decisions as a team lead.

5. Bring the female perspective to the table and don't try to be "one of the guys." God created us as women for a reason. We bring a view, a softness and a sensitivity that most men can't bring to the table. We see things from the view of probably over 50 % of the church family. We have instincts that only women have. I don't need to try to think like the men on the team or talk like them or act like them because I am needed just as I am. I add to the team what they are missing and that's the way God planned it.  Let the guys be guys.

Tony Morgan has a great post on his blog that addresses this topic so check this out for some more insight; http://tinyurl.com/lygy5jn

Comments