Praying Through Crisis



Praying comes easy for some and for others it's a challenge no matter where we might be in our faith walk. It's hard to know what to pray when you are in pain, scared, grieving, or desperately needing God to change the circumstance. We want to ask for God's will, yet we have our own heart's desire and sometimes the two align, sometimes they don't. We want the pain to go away and most of us just want answers.

As I've walked through some really challenging times over the last decade, I discovered a way to pray that helped me see God at work in the midst of the pain and to find peace that truly is beyond all understanding. Everything wasn't fixed and things didn't turn out as I wanted, but my faith was strengthened through it all. So, I want to share what I discovered to be helpful in my own life in hopes that it might offer ideas to someone who is seeking something new and fresh in your prayer life, no matter how easy or challenging this season of life might be for you.

Praying through scripture. God's Word is alive and active and filled with passages that offer comfort, encouragement, healing, peace... I could fill the rest of this page here! I've found that praying God's very own words back to Him has been life changing and brought so much healing. There have been times I've literally walked through every room in my home with the open Bible in my hands praying through passages of scripture. At one point I began writing verses I would come across in my daily devotions that stuck out to me and eventually I had 6 pages of scriptures I would pray through, most of the time literally on my knees.

Here are examples of what this looks like for me (and I know what I pray isn't always perfectly aligned with accurate doctrine, but I believe God loves hearing from my 💜anyway so I don't worry).

  • From Psalm 126-  Lord, you have done great things for me and I am filled with joy. Your word says that those who go out weeping and carrying seeds to sow will return with songs of joy. May this be true for me!
  • From Jeremiah 32:17 -  Oh Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm so nothing is too hard for you, not even ____. 
  • From Psalm 55:22 - Lord, I cast my burden on you and you will sustain me. You will not let the righteous be shaken. 
  • From Psalm 121 - I lift my eyes to the hills and where does my help come from? My help comes from you Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. 
  • From Psalm 125 - Lord your word says that those who trust in you are like Mt. Zion, which can't be shaken, but endures forever... Oh, how I trust in you God!
  • From I Peter 5:6 - Lord I humble myself under your mighty hand, that you would lift me up in due time. 
One final thought on praying through crisis...  Some days it's harder than others to pray, isn't it? But, one thing I've learned is that no matter what, I will praise God every single day. Even if I can't get anything else out, I praise Him for who He is. That alone has been the single act of discipline and obedience that's kept my faith strong, my hope alive, and my focus on what He is able to do! God, I praise you as my Lighthouse in the storm. I praise you as my Wonderful Counselor. I praise you as my Healer and my Protector.
Give it a try 😀

What have you discovered works for you? 

Comments