Interruption or Invitation?


Years ago I participated in a group Bible study about Jonah called Life Interrupted, Navigating the Unexpected, by Priscilla Shirer. I was learning about how Jonah was asked by God to do something that was not only going to be hard, but was something Jonah saw as downright ridiculous. He just knew he would be set up for failure in an impossible task and besides that, he just wasn't interested in doing it. But, God had a plan and Jonah was to be part of it. Since it's one of the most well known Bible stories, you probably know how this went. Jonah spent some time in the belly of a really big fish and in the end, he decided it is best after all to follow God's plan. As a result, a whole city was impacted. What Jonah saw as an interruption, was actually in invitation from God to be part of something beyond really big.

As always, God timed the study perfectly for me and it came just ahead of walking into the most challenging season of my life. Funny how God does that, isn't it?  God knew I needed to hear that message at that very moment in time. Over the years I have thought about the impact of the story of Jonah so many times.

I have been challenged to look at situations and difficult seasons in life by asking myself if by chance this could actually be an invitation from God to be part of a divine opportunity - a God opportunity. I ask myself if the situation could be a season where God is at work in ways I can't see. What if I miss out on a chance to be part of a modern day miracle, or a part of something that will have a life changing impact on myself or others?

Today I can't help but think - what about this Covid-19 Crisis we are in now? I know we all feel like it's a huge disruption in our lives ( for good reason - IT IS!).  Because I work on a church staff, it's a disruption for my job and my church all wrapped up into one. This season is painful, lonely, frustrating, and there are so many uncertainties that it's hard to wrap my mind around them.

What if I try to look at this difficult season as an invitation to be part of a God-opportunity? What if God is up to something really big in my life, in my family, in my church (or even the larger Church as whole), or in our country? If I know God, and if I've learned anything from all the years I've walked through life with Him, I'm pretty sure He is! It doesn't mean we won't ever feel lonely, or sad, or uncertain, does it? But, how could God be using all this to change things for me in the big picture or to allow me to be part of something bigger and better than I ever imagined?

Oh, God, help me to see you at work around me as I navigate these difficult times. I want to be part of what you are doing in our midst!


Comments